The Parkinson's Specialty
at The Toronto Clinic
Imagine having access to timely care of a collaborative multidisciplinary team of Parkinson’s experts who create personalized care plans based on novel evidence-based assessment tools, therapies, technology and precision medicine.
The vision of The Parkinson’s Speciality Clinic is to change the future of Parkinson’s disease, one patient at a time.
Our mission is to build a clinic to help people live well with Parkinson’s through innovative preventative care that is supported through research, evidence based medicine, and the willingness to take on finding a cure for Parkinson’s.
The Toronto Clinic was founded by Dr. Fabio Varlese 10 years ago with the focus on Corporate Executive Health Care, emphasizing the importance of prevention, wellness and integrative care of the highest level by designing a comprehensive health program which is now the hallmark of the Clinic’s success.
Dr. Varlese is an Internist and Geriatrician with a Faculty appointment at the University of Toronto in the Division of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, Department of Medicine. Dr. Varlese has dedicated his life to the optimization of medical care and wellness of the frail elderly who are often affected by the life changing conditions of dementia and Parkinson’s.
Dr. Varlese and Steve Ludzik had the opportunity to meet a few years back during a presentation on the future of stem cell therapy and its potential impact on those who have experienced a traumatic brain injury resulting in Parkinsonism. Fortunately, a friendship was established and a common interest identified. This connection launched the collaborative efforts between the Steve Ludzik Parkinson’s Specialty Clinic in association with The Toronto Clinic and The Steve Ludzik Foundation Niagara in supporting individuals diagnosed with Parkinson’s and their families.
In collaboration with the Steve Ludzik Foundation, Dr. Varlese is in the process of establishing the Parkinson’s Specialty Clinic which will be housed at The Toronto Clinic.
Through this clinic Dr. Varlese and his team aim to give back to the community by improving access to specialized Parkinson’s Care while implementing a novel wellness approach for patients in the community living with Parkinson’s.
Specialty Clinic Goals
- Timely assessment of patients
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary experts to create personalized care plans based on Precision Medicine
- Partner with Ontario Telehealth Network and technology companies to build technologic capacity
- Connect patients with leading Parkinson’s Disease researchers around the world
- Explore novel therapies, clinical trials and experimental therapies for patient safety
Each patient would have access to:
- Comprehensive medical assessment
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment
- Neurology consultation
- Movement Disorders Specialist consultation
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy
- Speech-Language Therapy
- Audiology Assessment
- Nutritionist and Naturopathic Assessment
- Medical imaging, lab-work, genetic testing and research opportunities
- Incorporating novel assessment tools